Friday, February 17, 2006

Beetroot and cocoa cake

Ok maybe I should have said this was also the beetroot week. I didn't know what else to do with my left over beetroot, so I remembered I had this recipe and I guess this was the time to try it. I wasn't sure at first, the idea of beetroot cake didn't sound very appealing to me. But, I have to say this is probably the softest chocolate cake I have ever had. I think the softness is given by the beetroot although if you are afraid that you'll taste beetroot in this cake, don't! The cocoa really does it all and you won't taste any beetroot at all. So what is the point of making a beetroot cake if you are not going to taste any? I don't know! I guess it's different and you can still enjoy a wonderful vegetable in sweet cake like this. So with this cake, I officially close my pink week and I open the brown week.

Ingredients: 200gr flour, 300gr cooked beetroot, 50gr cocoa powder, 2 eggs, 150gr sugar, 125ml olive oil, 2 Tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven at 180 C (350 F). Cook the beetroot in water or use already cooked ones which are available at most food store. Put them in a mixer and reduce in puree. Add a couple of Tbsp of water to allow the mixer to work properly. Add the eggs and beat in the mixer as well. Finally add the olive oil and vanilla extract.
Into a large bowl sift the flour and the cocoa powder and mix well. Add sugar and baking powder. Add the beetroot mix to the dry ingredients and mix well with a woodeen spoon until there are no lumps. Lightly butter a 20cm cake pan. Pour the mixture and cook for about 40 minutes or until well cooked inside. Use a toothpick to check if it's well cooked inside. Switch off the oven and let the cake cool inside with the door open.

Go Vegan: For a vegan version, just substitute the eggs with 40gr of egg replacer and 160ml of water adding the dry ingredients to the dry ingredients and the water to the liquid ingredients.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Gary Snow Removal dice...

Great post thanks for writing

12:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home