Friday, March 10, 2006

Lime and dried Figs Marmalade

I really like limes, not just for the color, but also for the fact that you can use them in a variety of dishes, raw or cooked. I had some organic figs I had bought a while ago, so I thought that one of the best way to eat them would be converting into a marmalade. The taste of this is slightly bitter which goes very well with the sweetness of figs. Excellent spread on bread and butter or even with cheese.

Ingredients: 1kg lime, 250gr dried figs, 1.5kg sugar, 2lt water

Remove rind from limes cutting them into stripes and put them in a pan. Cut limes in half, remove the flesh. Put the flash in the pan as well and tie pith and seeds in the musling bag. Combine rind, lime, flash and muslin bag and the water in the pan. Bring to boil and cook slowly for 1 hour.
Discard musling bag. Add sugar and figs sliced thinly, and stir well until dissolved. Bring to boil again and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes or until it reaches the desired consistency. Pour hot marmalade into hot sterilised jars. Put them upside down and cover with a blanket until almost cold. Turn them again to prevent the marmalade stick on the wrong side!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous dice...

ouh my god it just seems delicious. I am found of both products and i the idea to mix them for a jam is really ingenous. I may try it, for my winter, when i will be by myself in a new town! what kind of cheese is best? goat cheese?

12:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home