Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Love's meringue

The first time I made meringue in my life was a few months ago. I had in mind to do some little mushrooms meringue, with chococlate. Something really nice and cosy that I had had in mind for a long time. So the day arrives and I set everything up, put it in the oven and switch it on. After about 10 minutes the house starts smelling like something was burning. In my oven!! I had confused centigrades with firenights and set the oven at one of the highest temperature I have ever needed! So Valentine's day has made me try again with this romantic and soft (and pink) recipe, which is very easy to make, once you know how not to confuse F with C! Happy Valentine everybody!

Ingredients: 120gr icing sugar, 2 egg whites, 4 drops red colouring (optional), mixed berries such as strawberry, raspberry and blackberry, orange liqueur, sugar

Preheat the oven to 100 C (200 F). Beat egg whites with an electric mixer, add the colouring at this stage. Sprinkle in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. Cover a baking tin with parchment paper. Use a heart shaped mould if you have one or use a pipe to shape it the way you like. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes without opening the oven.
Wash the berries, mix them with orange liqueur and sugar, let it stand in the fridge for a few hours (or less if you are in a hurry) and pour it over the meringue adding more liequeur accordingly to your taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home