Thursday, February 23, 2006

Seville Orange Marmalade

As every week, also last week I received my box of organic vegetables and fruit from Riverford Organic. Each week I choose if I want a small or big box, accordingly to what I have left in my fridge. Last week I also ordered an extra product called "Marmalade kit" which I though it would give me a kit to make marmalade, but I didn't think I would get fruit! So that is what it was. A bag of beautiful Seville's Oranges with the recipe to make this delicious marmalade. It was a great surprise for me because this, is the only marmalade I really like to eat, the others are always too sweet for my tastes. This kind of oranges are only to be found in January and February, so this is the best time to look for them. Unlike other oranges, a true Seville has a very rough skin and has a beautiful deep orange color. These are impossible to eat as they are very bitter, so Marmalade is the best way to make use of them.

Ingredients: 1.5kg (3lbs) Seville oranges, 2.8 litres (5 pints) water, juice of 2 lemons, 2.7kg (6lbs) sugar

Scrub the oranges and cut them in half. Squeeze the juice and pips into a basin. Cut up the peel into thin strips or chunks, as preferred.
Put the peel, any soft pulp and the water in a large heavy-based pan. Strain in the juice. Put the pips in a muslin bag and tie it to the pan handle so that it hangs well down in the water. Cook the fruit gently for 2 hours, or until the peel is tender.
Lift out the bag of pips and squeeze it between two spoons over the pan before discarding. Add the lemon juice andsugar, and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Bring to the boil, and boil rapidly until setting point is reached. Remove from the heat and skim the scum, cool for 5-8 minutes and then stir well to distribute the peel.
Pot and seal as you would with any jam or fruit jelly. I personally fill the jars, previously sterilized in hot water, seal them well and put them upside down. Cover with a blanket until the marmalade is cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home